What is the news?
Ministry of Jal Shakti has recently launched “Sujalam”, a 100 days campaign as part of “Azadi ka Amrit Mahaotsav”. The campaign is meant for Greywater management & ODF sustainability.
About the Sujalam campaign
Aim of the campaign: It aims to achieve Open defecation free(ODF) plus status for Villages across the Country in an accelerated manner
- It seeks to create more ODF Plus Villages by Undertaking Waste Water Management at Village Level
- This will be done by creating 1 million Soak-pits and other Greywater management activities.
Focus Area of the campaign
- Organizing Community consultations and Gram Sabha meetings to analyze the current situation
- Pass resolution to maintain ODF sustainability
- Develop a 100 days plan to undertake sustainability and soak pit construction-related activities
- Construction of 1 million soak pits
- Retrofitting of toilets
- Access to toilets for new households
What is the need for this campaign?
Villages often struggle with the problem of wastewater and clogging of water bodies. The campaign will help villages in the management of wastewater and the revival of water bodies.
- It will boost the momentum of Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) Grameen activities through community participation
- It will increase awareness about Open Defecation Free (ODF)-plus activities.
- Greywater refers to domestic wastewater that is generated in households or office buildings from streams without faecal contamination. Greywater includes all streams of water except wastewater from toilets. The sources of greywater include showers, sinks, baths, dishwashers and washing machines.
Terms to know