- The India Meteorological Department had predicted that India would get ‘normal’ rain during the remaining months of the monsoon season.
- But India is likely to get 100% of its annual monsoon quota of 89 cm.
- Rainfall had weakened over most of the country in the first week of August , 2017.
- Low rainfall in August is a part of a ‘break’ or hiatus anticipated by the meteorologists.
New forecast model:
- This year, the IMD formally launched a new forecast model i.e., the Monsoon Mission Coupled Forecasting System (MMCFS).
- The model employs supercomputers to forecast the monsoon. This is in addition to the statistical system traditionally employed.