What is the news?
Telangana has achieved 100% tap water connections to all schools and Angan Wadi Centres (AWCs) under 100 day Special Campaign.
The other states like Andhra Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Goa, Haryana and Tamil Nadu, also achieved this target.
Centre’s 100-day Special Campaign:
- On 2nd October 2020, Ministry of Jal Shakti had launched the 100-day Special Campaign. It was to ensure piped safe water to all schools and anganwadis under the Jal Jeevan Mission.
- The campaign was launched in order to ensure safe potable piped water for children. Children are more susceptible to water-borne diseases.
What has been achieved so far?
- So far, 1.82 lakh grey water management structures and 1.42 lakh rain water harvesting structures had been constructed in all schools and AWCs.
- In all, 5.21 lakh schools and 4.71 lakh AWCs had been provided with piped water supply and around 8.24 lakh assets in these institutions had been geo-tagged.
- It is a flagship programme of the Telangana government.It is aimed at providing safe drinking water to every household.
Source: The Hindu