- WHO published Global TB (tuberculosis) report 2018 recently
- The aim of report is to provide a comprehensive and up to date assessment of TB epidemic and progress in prevention.
- TB is among top 10 causes of death. Millions of people continue to infected with TB each year.
- Findings of the report in context of India
- India accounted for 27% of the total new TB infections in 2017
- It is highest among the top 30 high TB burden countries in the world
- Under reporting of TB cases in India are quite high
- Quarter of the world’s multi drug resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) being reported from India alone.
- Approach of India towards TB
- The Revised National TB Control Programme (RNTCP) and National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) in India have taken many initiatives
- Cash transfer scheme and nutrition scheme to TB patient have broadened in past few years