What is the News?
The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has said that the 3 language policy is not applicable to offices of the Union government.
About the News
- What was the issue? A question was filed under the Right to Information (RTI) Act. The questions were raised on the CRPF event in Karnataka for the foundation stone-laying ceremony. The plaques in this ceremony were only in English and Hindi. The questionnaire asked whether the Ministry had noticed that the three language policy was not followed at the programme.
- What did the Ministry reply? The Home Ministry has said that the provision of the bilingual policy is applicable in the offices of the Central government. It is as per the provision of the Official Language Act,1963 and Official Language Rules,1976.
What is the three language formula?
- The three-language formula first formulated by the Ministry of Education in National Policy on Education, 1968. This formula was implemented in the country except for Tamil Nadu.
- It is commonly understood that the three languages referred to are Hindi, English, and the regional language of the respective States.
- NEP 2020 continued with this policy, but it provided flexibility to the states in its implementation. It means it is not mandatory to adopt Hindi as one of the languages under the formula.
Source: The Hindu