News:On the sidelines of COP 14 of UNCCD,TRIFED and Union Tribal Ministry has launched TICD(TRIFED’s Initiative to Combat Desertification) under “The 4P1000 Initiative:The Tribal Perspective through Bamboonomics.”
TRIFED’s Initiative to Combat Desertification(TICD):
- Under this initiative,TRIFED will integrate its Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojna with this global environmental intervention termed as TICD (TRIFED’s Initiative to Combat Desertification).
- TRIFED will be partnering with the German Cooperation (GIZ) to involve the tribal community for rehabilitating the degraded land while supplementing the income of tribal community.
- The international initiative “4per1000” was launched by France in 2015 at the COP 21.
- It consists of federating all voluntary stakeholders of the public and private sectors under the framework of the Lima-Paris Action Plan (LPAP).
- The aim of the initiative is to demonstrate that agriculture and in particular agricultural soils can play a crucial role where food security and climate change are concerned.
- This initiative demonstrates that an annual growth rate of 0.4% in the soil carbon stocks, in the first 30-40 cm of agricultural soil, would significantly reduce the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere related to human activities.
- The Executive Secretariat of the “4 per 1000” initiative is hosted by the CGIAR System Organization,an international organization based in Montpellier.
- It is a movement to combat desertification and climate change which will involve the tribal community of India since they have the expertise in this field.
- The movement will ensure that tribals can earn a livelihood without causing environmental harm.
Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojna:
- Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojna was launched in April,2018 by TRIFED.
- The scheme seeks to improve tribal incomes through value addition, packaging, distribution and marketing of minor forest produce.
- The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) was established in 1987. It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs
- The objective of TRIFED is socio-economic development of tribal people in the country by way of marketing development of the tribal products. It acts as a facilitator and service provider.