What is the News?
The 7th edition of Indian Ocean Naval Symposium(IONS) was hosted by the French Navy at La Réunion.
About Indian Ocean Naval Symposium(IONS):
- Indian Ocean Naval Symposium(IONS) is a biennial forum conceived by the Indian Navy in 2008.
- Purpose: It is a voluntary initiative that seeks to increase maritime cooperation among navies of the littoral states of the Indian Ocean Region. It provides an open and inclusive forum for discussion of regionally relevant maritime issues.
- Chairmanship: The chairmanship of IONS has been held by India (2008-10), UAE (2010-12), South Africa (2012-14), Australia (2014-16), Bangladesh (2016-18), and the Islamic Republic of Iran (2018-21).
- Currently, France has assumed Chairmanship for a two-year tenure.
Members of IONS: IONS includes 24 nations that hold territory within the Indian Ocean and 8 observer nations:
- South Asian Littorals: Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Pakistan, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, and United Kingdom (British Indian Ocean Territory)
- West Asian Littorals: Iran, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates
- East African Littorals: France (Reunion), Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, South Africa, and Tanzania.
- southeast Asian and Australian Littorals: Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Thailand, and Timor-Leste.
- Observers: China, Germany, Italy, Japan, Madagascar, the Netherlands, Russia, and Spain.