Good Evening Friends! We are posting Todays 9pm Current Affair Brief
To access the Archives CLICK HERE->
News:Scientists at Mauna Loa observatory are observing the impact of Covid-19 on the Carbon Dioxide(CO2) emissions.
- Mauna Loa Observatory(MLO) is located in Hawaii,USA.
- It is part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
- Aim:To measure the elements in the atmosphere that contribute to climate change on Earth.
- Keeling Curve:It is a graph that shows the ongoing change in the concentration of carbon dioxide in the Earth’s atmosphere based on continuous measurements taken at the Mauna Loa Observatory.
News:The Ministry of Human Resource Development(MHRD) has launched a ‘Bharat Padhe Online’ campaign.It aims to invite experts from across India to share suggestions or solutions to overcome the challenges and constraints of online education while promoting the existing digital education platforms.
News:A new study conducted by the University of Manchester and Mahavir Cancer Institute and Research Centre,Bihar has found uranium contaminating the groundwater in 10 districts of Bihar.
- Uranium:It is a mildly radioactive, naturally occurring element that is commonly found in rocks, soil and water.
- Uses: a) fuel for nuclear power reactors for electricity generation b) manufacture of radioisotopes for medical applications c) nuclear science research among others.
- Uranium acceptable limit:World Health Organisation(WHO) has set 30 parts per billion as the provisional safe drinking water standard for uranium.
- Reasons for Uranium Contamination: a) Human factors such as groundwater-table decline b) interaction of the extracted uranium with other chemicals in the groundwater c) Water-rock interactions that cause the uranium to be extracted from those rocks among others.
News:The U.S.-Russian space crew has reached the International Space Station(ISS) after a launch was carried out by Russian Soyuz rocket from Kazakhstan.
- The International Space Station(ISS) is a space station located in the low Earth orbit.
- Participating agencies:It is a joint project between five space agencies: NASA (United States), Roscosmos (Russia), JAXA (Japan), ESA (Europe) and CSA (Canada).
- Aim:To serve as a microgravity and space environment research laboratory in which crew members conduct experiments in biology, human biology, physics, astronomy, meteorology and other fields.
- Space Station:It is a habitable artificial satellite which is capable of hosting crew members for an extended period of time and provides facilities for experiments and support vehicles to dock.
- Tiangong:It is a space station announced by China which will go into orbit by 2022.
- India has also planned to launch its own space station by 2030 joining the league of US, Russia and China.
News:The Gamosa is being used as a mask to fight the coronavirus.
- The Gamosa or Gamusa is an article of great significance for the people of Assam.It is a white rectangular piece of cloth with a distinctive red border and motifs.
- Purpose:It is valued as a gift for visitors, used as a scarf, anti-dust mask and wrapped around the head like a turban.