Good Evening Friends! We are posting Todays 9pm Current Affair Brief
To access the Archives CLICK HERE->
News:World Chagas Disease Day is being celebrated for the first time on April 14,2020.
- Chagas disease also known as American trypanosomiasis is caused by the protozoan parasite Trypanosoma cruzi (T. cruzi).
- It is classified as a neglected tropical disease(NTD) which means it mostly affects the poorest countries of the developing world.
- Transmission:The main route of transmission is through the insect called triatomine bug which carries the Trypanosoma cruzi.
- Other routes of transmission: oral transmission, blood transfusion, mother-to-child, organ transplantation transmissions or even laboratory accident transmission.
- Distribution: Mexico, Central America, and South America.
- Symptoms: a) Initial Phase: Purplish swelling of the lids of one eye, fever, difficulty in breathing among others b) Later Phase: cardiac disorders, digestive problems, neurological or mixed alterations which can lead to sudden death.
- Treatment: It is curable if treatment is initiated soon after infection.
News:The Department of Science and Technology(DST) has invited proposals to study the role of yoga and meditation in fighting COVID-19 under it’s Science and Technology of Yoga and Meditation(SATYAM) programme.
- The SATYAM Programme was announced in 2015 by the DST under its Cognitive Science Research Initiative(CSRI).
- Aim: To foster scientific research on the effects of yoga and meditation on physical & mental health and on cognitive functioning in healthy people as well as in patients with disorders.
- Eligibility: a) Scientists/academicians with research background in Yoga and Meditation and b) Practitioners involved in yoga and meditation can also apply in collaboration with research institutions.
- Duration: The project is tenable for a maximum period of three years.
Cognitive Science Research Initiative(CSRI):
- Launched in 2008 during the 11th Five year plan by the Department of Science and Technology.
- Aim:To facilitate a platform to the scientific community to work for better solutions related with cognitive disorders and social issues through various psychological tools & batteries, early diagnosis & better therapies, intervention technologies and rehabilitation programmes.
News:Telangana Chief Minister has suggested RBI to adopt the concept of Helicopter Money to help state governments tide over the current crisis and kickstart economic activity in India.
- Origin: The term Helicopter Money was given by American Economist Milton Friedman in his paper “The Optimum Quantity of Money”.
- Helicopter money: It refers to an unconventional monetary policy tool which is aimed at bringing the economy back on track by printing large sums of money and distributing it to the public.
- Benefits: a) Increase in Demand Growth b) Increase in inflation among others.
- Challenges: a) It may lead to Hyperinflation b) Devaluation of currency among others.
News:For the first time in 144 years, the Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) administration has decided to halt the ‘Durbar move’ due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.
- Darbar move: It is the name for the bi-annual shift of the secretariat and all other government offices in J&K from Srinagar (state’s summer capital) to Jammu (state’s winter capital).
- Duration:The secretariat is located in Srinagar from May to October and in Jammu from November to April.
- Origin:The practice was started by Dogra King Maharaja Ranbir Singh in 1872 to escape extreme weather conditions in these places.
Facts: Wormivet is an indigenous herbal medicine(dewormer) developed by the National Innovation Foundation(NIF), an autonomous body under the Department of Science and Technology.It can be used by livestock owners as an alternative to chemical methods for the treatment of endoparasite worms in livestock.
News:Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog and National Informatics Centre
(NIC) have jointly launched Collaborative CAD Software(CollabCAD).
- Aim:To provide a platform to students of Atal Tinkering Labs(ATLs) across the country to create and modify 3d designs with free flow of creativity and imagination.
- CollabCAD:It is a collaborative network, computer-enabled software system providing a total engineering solution from 2D drafting & detailing to 3D product design.
Tinker from Home Campaign:It is an initiative of Atal Tinkering labs program which aims to harness the creativity and innovativeness of Children by encouraging them to learn online through self initiation.
Atal Tinkering Labs(ATL):
- They have been established under the Atal Innovation Mission(AIM).
- Aim:To foster curiosity, creativity and imagination in young minds and inculcate skills such as design mindset, computational thinking, adaptive learning, physical computing etc.
- Funding: AIM will provide grant-in-aid that includes a one-time establishment cost of Rs.10 lakh and operational expenses of Rs.10 lakh for a maximum period of 5 years to each ATL.
- Eligibility:Schools (minimum Grade VI – X) managed by Government, local body or private trusts/society can set up ATL.