Good Evening Friends! We are posting Todays 9pm Current Affair Brief
To access the Archives CLICK HERE->
News:UN75 Initiative has released the findings from the first three months of Global Dialogue.
- The UN75 Initiative was launched by the United Nations in 2019.
- Aim:To build a global vision for the year 2045 by initiating a dialogue and action on how we can build a better world despite the many challenges we face.
- The views and ideas that are generated through the dialogue will be presented during the 75th Session of the General Assembly in September 2020.
- UN is an international organization founded in 1945.It is currently made up of 193 Member States.
- Aim:To maintain international peace and security, develop friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and be a center for harmonizing the actions of nations.
- Six Principal Organs: General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council, Trusteeship Council, International Court of Justice and the UN Secretariat.
Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator
- Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator is a Global Collaboration to speed up the development, production of COVID-19 diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines and ensure equal access to treatments for rich and poor.
- This initiative is led by the World Health Organization with a long list of countries, industry groups and nongovernmental organizations committed to joining the project.
Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary
News:National Board for Wild Life(NBWL) has recommended coal mining in a part of Dehing Patkai elephant reserve which includes the Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary in Assam.
- The Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary is also known as the Jeypore Rainforest.It is located in the districts of Dibrugarh and Tinsukia in Assam.
- Dehing is the name of the river that flows through this forest and Patkai is the hill at the foot of which the sanctuary lies.
- Vegetation:It is a deciduous rainforest interspersed with semi-evergreen and lush green flora.
- Habitat: Chinese pangolin, Flying fox, Rhesus macaque, Assamese macaque, Himalayan black bear, Lesser Adjutant Stork, White and Slender-billed Vulture, Leopard, Golden Cat, Jungle Cat and Marbled Cat.
News:The Prime minister has greeted the people on the occasion of Basava Jayanthi,the Birth anniversary of Lord Basaveshwara.
- Basavanna was a 12th-century philosopher, founding saint of the Lingayat sect, Kannada poet and social reformer during the reign of the Kalachuri-dynasty king Bijjala I in Karnataka.
- He rejected gender or social discrimination, superstitions and rituals by advocating that every human being was equal, irrespective of caste and that all forms of manual labor was equally important.
- Anubhava Mantapa(hall of spiritual experience):It was a public institution founded by Basavana to welcome men and women from all socio-economic backgrounds to discuss spiritual and mundane questions of life in open.
- Literary works:He spread social awareness through poetry(Vachanas) such as Shat-sthala-vachana (discourses of the six stages of salvation), Kala-jnana-vachana (forecasts of the future) and Mantra-gopya.
- He is known for introducing the Ishtalinga(a necklace with a pendant that contains a small Shiva Linga).
- He was the first Kannadiga in whose honour a commemorative coin has been minted in recognition of his social reforms.
- In 2015, Indian Prime Minister inaugurated his statue along the bank of the river Thames at Lambeth,London.
News:The Border Roads Organisation(BRO) has opened the Rohtang Pass for transporting essential supplies and relief materials to the Lahaul and Spiti districts of Himachal Pradesh amid the lockdown.
- Rohtang Pass is present on the Pir Panjal Range of Himalayas.It connects the Kullu Valley with Lahaul and Spiti Valleys of Himachal Pradesh.
- The pass lies on the watershed between the Chenab and Beas rivers basins.
- The Ravi river rises west of the Rohtang pass in the Kullu hills of Himachal Pradesh.
- Atal Tunnel:It is an 8.8-kilometre-long under Rohtang Pass.It will become the world’s longest highway tunnel above 10,000 feet.
World Bank Migration and Development Brief
News:The World Bank has released its report “Migration and Development Brief”. It focuses on COVID-19 Crisis Through a Migration Lens.
- The report is prepared by the Migration and Remittances Unit- the research and data arm of the World Bank.It is released twice a year.
- Aim:To provide an update on key developments in the area of migration and remittance flows and related policies over the past six months.
- It also provides medium-term projections of remittance flows to developing countries.
- Remittances: It is a transfer of money often by a foreign worker to an individual in their home country.
- Indiais the world’s biggest recipient of remittances.In 2019,India is estimated to have received $83.1 billion in remittances which is about 12% of the total expected global inflow.