Good Evening Friends
We are posting Todays 9pm Current Affair Brief
About 9pm Current Affair Brief – This initiative provides a brief of all the relevant articles of day in a clear, concise and easily consumable format. Students don’t need to look anywhere more for your daily news bytes. It will help students in their prelims and mains preparation.
For old Archives of 9pm Current Affair Brief, Click on “Archives”
News:China has been illegally fishing in the Natuna Islands area which is internationally recognized as Indonesia’s exclusive zone.
- The Natuna Islands is located in Indonesia’s Riau Islands province, the west side of the South China Sea.
- The Island overlaps with China’s nine-dash line claim under which China argues that the waters around the Natuna islands are Chinese traditional fishing grounds.
South China Sea:
- The South China Sea is an arm of western Pacific Ocean in Southeast Asia.
- Border Countries: People’s Republic of China, Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore and Vietnam.
- Importance: It holds tremendous strategic importance for its location as it is the connecting link between the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean(Strait of Malacca).
- Dispute: China claims the South China Sea based on the nine-dash line which stretches hundreds of miles south and east from its most southerly province of Hainan covering the strategic Paracel and Spratly island chains.
News:Several people have tested positive for COVID-19 from among 4,000 who had gathered in Delhi’s Markaz Nizamuddin, the headquarters of the Tablighi Jamaat.
- Tablighi Jamaat:It is a conservative Muslim organisation which aims to reach out to ordinary Muslims and revive their faith particularly in matters of ritual, dress and personal behaviour.
- Origin:Launched by Maulana Muhammad Ilyas in 1926 in Mewat (Haryana) with its roots in the Deobandi version
- Principles: Based on six principles namely a) Kalimah- an article of faith which says that there is no God but Allah b) Salaat or prayer five times daily c) Ilm and dhikr- the knowledge and remembrance of Allah in which the congregation listens to preaching by the imam d) Ikram-i-Muslim- the treatment of fellow Muslims with honour and e) Ikhlas-i-niyat- or sincerity of intention.
- It was a revivalist movement founded in 1867 by Muhammad Qasim Nanautavi and Rashid Ahmad Gangohi.
- Aim:To propagate pure teachings of Quran and Hadis among Muslims and to keep alive the spirit of Jihad against the foreign rulers.
- It was a reformist movement founded by Sir Syed Ahmad Khan.
- Aim:To reform social, political and educational aspects of the Muslim community.
- He founded the Mohammedan Anglo Oriental College(Aligarh Muslim University) in 1875.
News:The United States Virgin Islands(USVI) has banned sunscreen products with chemicals known to be harmful to coral reefs and marine life.
- United States Virgin Islands(USVI) is an unincorporated organized territory of the United States of America located between the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean.
- It comprises three principal islands namely St. Croix, St. John, and St. Thomas.The capital is Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas.
News:India has invoked the peace clause of the World Trade Organization (WTO) for exceeding the ceiling on support it can offer farmers for rice for the marketing year 2018-2019.This is the first time any country has invoked this clause.
- Peace Clause:It is a mechanism which protects a developing country’s food procurement programmes against action from WTO members in case subsidy ceilings are breached (10% of the concerned crop’s value of production).
- It is available to the developing nations till a ‘permanent solution’ is found by the WTO members to the issue of public stockholding for food security purposes.
News:The Ministry of Home Affairs has promulgated the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganization (Adaptation of State Laws) Order, 2020 which defined the Domicile Criteria for UT of J&K.
Domicile:It is the status or attribution of being a lawful permanent resident in a particular jurisdiction.
Domicile Criteria:A person have to fulfill the following conditions to be deemed to be a domicile of the Union Territory(UT) of J&K:
- The person has resided in J&K for 15 years or has studied in the state for seven years and appeared in either the Class 10 or the Class 12 examination in J&K (or)
- The person is registered as a migrant by the Relief and Rehabilitation Commissioner (Migrants) in the UT of J&K (or)
- They are children of Central Government Officials, Officials of PSUs and among others who have served in J&K for a total period of ten years (or)
- The children of residents of J&K who reside outside the Union Territory in connection with employment or business but whose parents fulfil any of the above conditions will also be entitled to domicile status.
Benefits for Domicile:
- No person shall be eligible for appointment to a post of Level-4 (non-gazetted posts) unless he is a domicile of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- However,the order has said that all Indian citizens including J&K domiciles would be eligible for remaining non-gazetted and gazetted posts.