Good Evening Friends! We are posting Todays 9pm Current Affair Brief
To access the Archives CLICK HERE->
News: World Food Programme(WFP) has said that the rapidly growing coronavirus pandemic could have an impact on the global food supply chain.
- The World Food Programme(WFP) is the food-assistance branch of the United Nations, established in 1961.
- Aim: To eradicate hunger and malnutrition with the ultimate goal of eliminating the need for food aid itself.
- It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and part of its Executive Committee.
- Funding: Its operations are funded by voluntary donations from world governments, corporations and private donors.
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy.[read more]
News: The Government of India is focussed on stopping the cluster transmissions of the coronavirus in order to prevent it from turning into community transmission.
- Cluster Transmission: It is defined as an aggregation of cases in an identifiable subpopulation. The word ‘cases’ in the definition stands for people with similar symptoms and ‘subpopulation’ points to those who share or belong to the same space, time, family or workplace.
Community Transmission: It means that the source of infection for the spread of an illness is unknown or a link in terms of contacts between patients and other people is missing.
News: The Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR), Ministry of Commerce and Industry has launched ARTIS(Applications for Remedies in Trade for Indian Industry and other Stakeholders).
- ARTIS: It is an online system developed for filing applications by the domestic industry with respect to various trade remedial measures such as anti-dumping duty, safeguards duty and countervailing duty.
- Anti-dumping Duty: It is a protectionist tariff that a domestic government imposes on foreign imports that it believes are priced below fair market value.
- Safeguard duty: It is a temporary relief provided when imports of a product increase unexpectedly and threaten the existence of domestic players of similar products.
- Countervailing duty(CVD): It is an additional import duty imposed on imported products by the importing country when such products enjoy benefits like export subsidies and tax concessions in the country of their origin.
News: Government of India has constituted an Empowered Group to undertake discussions in dealing with COVID-19.
- The empowered group is chaired by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant
- Mandate: To hold discussions with the stakeholders regarding the identification of problems, effective solutions and formulation of plans against COVID-19.
- Stakeholders: a) UN agencies, World Bank, Asian Development Bank b) Civil Society Organisations and development partners and c) Industry associations – CII, FICCI, ASSOCHAM, NASSCOM.