News: Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has begun preparatory works for setting up a third rocket Launchpad.
About Third Launchpad
- It will set up in coastal hamlet of Kulashekhrapattinam in the Thuthukudi district, Tamil Nadu.
It is intended to support:
- increased launch frequency,
- provide active redundancy to existing launch pads and
- To support launching requirements of advanced launch vehicles.
- At present, the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has two launchpads at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota Range (SDSC-SHAR).
- SHAR is situated in an island off Sullurupeta – a small town in Nellore district, Andhra Pradesh.
News: Bharti Airtel has introduced Voice over Wi-Fi (VoWiFi), a first for India.
About Wi-Fi calling
- Wi-Fi Calling is a technology that enables a smartphone user to make and receive calls over Wi-Fi network rather than cellular radio connection.
- It is aimed especially for areas where cellular networks are not strong.
- Wi-Fi: Itis a radio transmission technology that allows digital devices to use high speed internet without direct cable connections.
News: Recently, engineer-scientist George Laurer, co-developer of Barcode, passed away.
- A barcode, consisting of bars and spaces is a machine-readable representation of numerals and characters. It is also known as Universal Product Code (UPC). It is used to efficiently identify and track objects and people.
- Barcode was co-developed by Geogre Laurier and Norman Joseph Woodland in 1973.
Types of Barcode:
- Numeric-only barcodes: barcodes consisting of only numbers.
- Alpha-numeric barcodes: contain a combination of numbers and alphabetic characters.
Two-dimensional Barcode: It is in the shape of a square or rectangle and contain many small dots arranged in a unique pattern. It is also known as Quick Response (QR) code.
News: Ministry of Jal Shakti informed Lok Sabha about Atal Bhujal Yojana
- Atal Bhujal Yojana is a central sector scheme under the ministry of Jal Shakti. The scheme was announced in the 2016-17 Union Budget.
- It aims to recharge ground water sources and ensure efficient use of water by involving people at local level.
- The funding pattern of the scheme is 50:50 between Government of India and World Bank.
- The scheme involves:
- Formation of Water User Associations,
- Monitoring and disseminating ground water data,
- Water budgeting,
- Preparation and implementation of Gram-Panchayat wise water security plans and
- Information, Education & Communication (IEC) activities related to sustainable ground water management.
- The scheme will be implemented in water stressed areas of Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
Govt. Initiatives to deal water crisis in India
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan: It is a time-bound, mission mode, water conservation and irrigation efficiency campaign for water security in India. It was launched by Ministry of Jal Shakti in July 2019.
- Model Bill for Conservation, Protection and Regulation of Groundwater, 2016: It seeks tomove groundwater from Easements Act as a private property resource to a Common Pool Resource. It also provides for demarcation of ‘groundwater protection zones’ and development of a groundwater security plan.
- National Aquifer Mapping and Management Programme (NAQUIM): Launched in 2012, aims to identify and map aquifers at the micro level to quantify the available groundwater resources.
- National Water Mission: It is one of the missions under the National Action Plan for Climate Change (NAPCC). It aims at conservation of water, minimizing wastage of water, increase water use efficiency by 20%.
- Composite water management Index: Developed by NITI Aayog, help the states in better water resource management and conservation.
News: The Inner Line Permit (ILP) regime has been extended to Manipur.
About Inner Line permit (ILP)
- It is a legal travel certificate provided by the Government of India to Indian citizen. It is required to travel into a protected area for a limited time.
- The aim of the ILP is to regulate movement to certain areas located near the international border of India.
- ILP was under Bengal Frontier Provision Act, 1873.
- At present, the ILP is implemented in Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram and Nagaland. The respective state governments issue ILPs.
Protected Area Permit (PAP)
- It is a travel certificate issued to foreign nationals for entering certain areas near international border of India. It is issue under Foreigners (Protected Areas) Order, 1958.
- Protected Areas are located in Arunachal Pradesh, parts of Himachal Pradesh parts of Jammu & Kashmir, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, parts of Rajasthan, parts of Sikkim and parts of Uttarakhand.
- In 2018, Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) relaxed PAP regime to allow foreign tourists to access border areas of Nagaland, Mizoram and Manipur for five years.
News: IBM has planned to launch a new weather forecasting system known as IBM GRAF – the Global High-Resolution Atmospheric Forecasting System
- GRAF can generate forecasts at a resolution of 3 kilometres as compared to 12-kilometre models used by the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- Current global weather models are updated every 6 to 12 hours. IBM’s system will forecast and update hourly.
- Significance of GRAF:
- Improved global mapping of the atmosphere
- Better data and accurate forecasts for agriculture
- Custom forecasts for energy companies, consumer brands, insurance businesses and satellite imagery analysts.