News: Recently, the Madhya Pradesh Governor has ordered a floor test in the state Assembly to allow the State Government to prove its majority.
About Floor Test:
- A floor test is primarily taken to know whether the executive enjoys the confidence of the legislature.
- It is a constitutional mechanism under which a Chief Minister appointed by the Governor can be asked to prove majority on the floor of the Legislative Assembly of the state.
About Composite Floor Test:
- It is conducted only when more than one person stakes claim to form the government and the majority is not clear.During this time,the governor calls for a special session to see who has the majority.
- The majority is then counted based on those present and voting.This can be done through a voice vote or through division vote.
- The person who has the majority will form the government.In case of tie, the speaker can also cast his vote.
News:The Ministry of Home Affairs has decided to treat COVID-19 as a notified disaster for the purpose of providing assistance under the State Disaster Response Fund(SDRF).
- Disaster is an extreme disruption of the functioning of a society that causes widespread human, material, or environmental losses that exceed the ability of the affected society to cope with its own resources.
- According to a High Power Committee on Disaster Management,1999 it identified 31 disasters organised into five major sub-groups namely a) water and climate related disasters b) geological related disasters c) chemical, industrial and nuclear related disasters and d) biological related disasters which includes biological disasters and epidemics.
- The State Disaster Response Fund(SDRF) has been constituted under the Disaster Management Act, 2005 and is the primary fund available with state governments for responses to notified disasters.
- The Central government contributes 75% towards the SDRF allocation for general category states and UTs, and over 90% for special category states/UTs which includes northeastern states, Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- The disasters covered under the SDRF include cyclones, droughts, tsunamis, hailstorms, landslides, avalanches and pest attacks among others.
News:The annual Chaitra Jatra festival scheduled to be held in Odisha’s Tara Tarini hill shrine was cancelled as a precautionary measure against COVID-19 infection.
About the Festival:
- Chaitra Jatra is celebrated at Tara Tarini hill shrine in the Hindu month of Chaitra.
- Tara Tarini hill shrine is located at Kumari hill on banks of the Rushikulya river.It is a major centre of Shakti worship in Odisha.
Note:Indian Navy’s sailboat INSV Tarini was named after Tara Tarini hill shrine.The first Indian all-woman crew had circumnavigated the globe in INSV Tarini.
Other important Festivals of Odisha:
About Chhau Festival
- Chhau Festival is celebrated every year by the Bhuiyan tribes in Odisha.
- The main attraction of the festival is the performance of Chhau dance by the people of Odisha.
- Chhau dance is a semi-classical form of dancing that includes a little bit of martial arts and folk elements.The dance is performed while wearing a mask or chhau that comes from the word chaya which means shadow.
About Nuakhai Festival:
- Nuakhai is an agricultural festival mainly observed by people of Western Odisha in India.
- The farmers offer the first produce of their respective lands to Goddess Samaleswari and then consume it personally.
News:Recently,many coronavirus patients have died of sepsis after the body’s immune system goes into overdrive.
- Sepsis is a life-threatening organ dysfunction caused by the body’s immune system overreacting in response to an infection.This overactive, toxic response can lead to tissue damage, multiple organ failure and death.
- It can be triggered by a variety of pathogens such as Viruses, bacteria, fungi or parasites.The causes of sepsis are usually pneumonia, wound infections, urinary tract infections or infections in the abdominal cavity.
- Other viruses that are highly infectious such as coronaviruses, Ebola and yellow fever viruses, dengue, swine flu or bird flu viruses can also cause sepsis.
- Drop in blood pressure with a simultaneous rise in heart rate, fever, rapid, heavy breathing, an unusually strong feeling of illness and sudden confusion.
- When diagnosed, sepsis is immediately treated as an emergency. The blood is examined, a broad-spectrum antibiotic is administered, and sufficient blood circulation and ventilation are ensured.
- As a precautionary measure, many sepsis patients are protectionally incubated which means put into an artificial coma.
News: The Ministry of Shipping has launched a roll on-roll off cum passenger ferry service called ‘ROPAX’, between Mumbai and Mandwa (Maharashtra).
- It is a water transport service project under the Eastern Waterfront Development.
- The benefits of this service include reduction in the travel time, vehicular emission and traffic on the road.
About Eastern Waterfront Development:
- The Eastern Waterfront is the Mumbai Port Trust’s plan to develop the port lands across Mumbai’s eastern coast stretching from Sassoon Dock to Wadala.
News:Recently,the UK government has announced that it is aiming to achieve herd immunity as a way of tackling COVID-19.
About Herd Immunity:
- Herd immunity is when a large number of people are vaccinated against a disease, lowering the chances of others being infected by it.
- However,this type of immunity is usually viewed as a preventive strategy in vaccination programmes.
- Since,we don’t have a vaccine for COVID-19 – achieving herd immunity would require a significant proportion of the population to be infected and recover from COVID-19.
- This will allow us to retain an immunological memory of the disease that enables us to fight off that same disease in the future.