Good Evening Friends
We are posting Todays 9pm Current Affair Brief
About 9pm Current Affair Brief – This initiative provides a brief of all the relevant articles of day in a clear, concise and easily consumable format. Students don’t need to look anywhere more for your daily news bytes. It will help students in their prelims and mains preparation.
For old Archives of 9pm Current Affair Brief, Click on “Archives”
9pm Current Affair Briefs Archives →
Finance Minister announces Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana
News:Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced a Rs 1.70 lakh crore ‘Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana’ relief package
Aim: To provide relief to the urban and rural poor amid Coronavirus pandemic
- Insurance scheme for health workers: Health professionals in Government Hospitals and Health Care Centres to be compensated with an amount of Rs 50 lakh.
- PM Garib Kalyan Ann (अन्न) Yojana: 80 crore individuals to be provided double of their current entitlement of foodgrains over next three months
- Benefit to farmers: First instalment of Rs 2,000 due in 2020-21 will be paid in April 2020 under the PM KISAN Yojana.
- Help to Poor: 20.40 crores PMJDY women account-holders would be given extra Rs 500 per month for next three months.
- Gas cylinders: gas cylinders, free of cost, would be provided to 8 crore poor families for the next three months.
- Help to low wage earners in organised sectors: 24% of monthly wages to be paid into PF accounts of wage-earners below Rs 15,000 per month in businesses having less than 100 workers, for next three months.
- Support for senior citizens (above 60 years), widows and Divyang: Rs 1,000 to be paid during next three months.
- MNREGA: wages would be increased by Rs 20 with effect from 1 April, 2020
Animal Welfare Board of India(AWBI)
News: The Animal Welfare Board of India(AWBI) has urged state governments to ensure that animals do not suffer in the wake of COVID-19 lockdowns across the country.
- It is a statutory advisory body under Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (PCA) Act,1960.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- Aim:To prevent the infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering on animals.
- Composition:The Board comprises 28 Members including 6 MPs (4 from Lok Sabhas and 2 from Rajya Sabha)Rukmini Devi Arundale pioneered the setting up of the Board.Headquarters:Ballabhgarh,Haryana.
News: Recently, Malabar Civet was found on the streets of Kerala in the backdrop of lockdown due to Coronavirus.
- Malabar Civet is a nocturnal and elusive animal.It is endemic to Western Ghats of India.
- IUCN Red List: Critically Endangered.
- Wildlife (Protection) Act,1972: Schedule I
- CITES: Appendix III
- Threats: Habitat destruction and Hunting.
Global Humanitarian Response Plan
News: The United Nations has launched a $2 billion Global Humanitarian Response Plan to fight against COVID-19.
- The Global Humanitarian Response Plan will be implemented in the world’s most vulnerable countries by UN agencies along with international non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
- Aim: To deliver essential laboratory equipment to test for the virus, medical supplies to treat people, install handwashing stations and launch public information campaigns on prevention.
News:Recently, Ear, Nose and Throat(ENT) specialists have noted a growing number of anosmia and ageusia cases among COVID-19 patients.
- Anosmia: It is the partial or complete loss of the sense of smell.This loss may be temporary or permanent.
- Ageusia: It is a condition that is characterized by a complete loss of taste function of the tongue.
News: A virtual G20 Summit was held under the presidency of Saudi Arabia.
- Saudi Arabia is the first Arab nation to hold the G20 presidency.
- Theme- “Realising Opportunities of the 21st Century for All”.
- It is an informal group of 19 countries and the European Union with representatives of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
- It was initially founded in 1999 after the Asian financial crisis. However after the 2008 Financial Crisis, the meeting has been held annually since 2010.
- G7: It is an organisation made up of seven countries namely Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- G4: It consists of four countries namely Brazil, Germany, India, and Japan which support each other’s bids for permanent seats on the United Nations Security Council.
- G77: It is a coalition of 134 developing countries designed to promote its members’ collective economic interests and create an enhanced joint negotiating capacity in the United Nations.
News:Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar (IITGN) has launched Project Isaac.
- Aim: To engage its students in creative projects to enhance their critical skills while they are confined to their homes because of Coronavirus.
The project is inspired by Sir Isaac Newton who was sent home by his College because of the Great Plague of London in 1665.During this year, he developed discoveries including early calculus as well as his theories of optics and gravity.