Cauvery river dispute; Centre state
- The Centre has submitted a draft scheme in the Supreme Court to implement the final decision on distributing the Cauvery waters among the riparian (relating to or situated on the banks of a river) States.
2. Provisions of the draft scheme are:
- The draft proposes to create an authority to monitor implementation of the Cauvery Tribunal’s final award.
- It will be a two-tier structure; The Apex body is charged with the power to ensure conformation of the final award and a regulation committee will monitor the field situation and water flow.
- The powers of the authority would extend to
- regulation and control of Cauvery waters,
- supervision of operations of reservoirs and
- Regulation of water releases.
- Authority’s decisions are final and binding.
- But if the authority finds that any one of the States is not cooperative, it can seek the Centre’s help, and the Centre’s decision will be final and binding.
India – China
- After Wuhan meet there is increased chances of improved bilateral ties between India and China.
2. Sino-India war of 1962 war annulled the hopes of strong bilateral relation with china.
3. The border issue between the two countries is evident from the past:
- Chinese President Xi Jinping’s ambitious visit in 2014 was sullied by the military face-off in Chumar in Ladakh.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s journey to China in 2015 was trailed two years later by a near-war situation in Doklam.
4. The Bilateral relation between India and china was a serious concern for US in term of Geo-economics of New Delhi-Beijing ties.
5. China views India as part of a larger pan-Asian riposte to Mr. Trump’s America First doctrine.
6. China is also re-engaging with Japan, South Korea and ASEAN to make Asia the pivot of a new wave of globalization.
7. Chinese Prime Minister visited Tokyo for a trilateral summit. Japan, South Korea, and China batted for Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, a free trade bloc which not only covers the three countries but also knits the ASEAN with other major economies of the region including India, Australia and New Zealand.
8. China has forecasted its interest in India with billions of dollars of investments in India, and Decision to open its own market to Indian pharma and IT products.
Secularism; Supreme Court
Muslim parties might file a contempt petition in Babri Masjid case might be filed in the Supreme Court on the grounds that certain sections are trying to complicate the case
- The Ismail Faruqi versus Union of India case, deals with the acquisition of land in Ayodhya after demolition of Babri Masjid on 6thDecember 1992
- At present, the Supreme Court is examining the constitutionality of “Acquisition of Certain area of Ayodhya Act of 1993” after Muslim parties have challenged Supreme Court’s ruling in 1994
- Post demolition, the government acquired 66.7 acres of land in Ayodhya, including the 2.77 acres on which the Babri Masjid had stood.
- The Act prescribed maintenance of status quo that prevailed just before the acquisition.
- The government justified the acquisition of land as a step to ensure harmony
- However Muslim parties were of the opinion that the act only extended the consequences of the demolition
- The Supreme Court gave its verdict in the government’s favour
- The Court further classified “places of worship with particular significance” which needs to be treated reverentially and 2ordinary places of worship” which can be acquired
Regulatory body; Social Media
- Rajyavardhan Rathore, who has recently taken over the charge of Information and Broadcasting Ministry has opined that media has to be self regulatory.
2. Former I&B Minister Smriti Irani had released new accreditation guidelines which direct that a journalist’s government accreditation could be suspended if his or her news reports were found to be fake.
3. But there was no clarity on what would be considered “fake news”. The mandate of judging this was on the Press Council of India for print and News Broadcasters Association for television news. Thus, the press release was withdrawn.
4. I&B Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore also clarified that social media did not come under the ambit of Information and Broadcasting Ministry.
Rythu Bandhu scheme; welfare scheme
- Wrong entries found in the pattadaar passbooks under RythuBandhu scheme
2. Rythu Bandhu scheme is a welfare program to support farmer’s investment for two crop ayear launched by the Government of Telangana.
3. Beneficiaries reportedly complained about sanction of less amount and also pointed the negelenceof authorities in distribution of cheques to the beneficiary
4. In contrary staff concerned noticed the cheque amount exceeding the original agricultural lands some of the beneficiaries actually hold, sources added
5. The errors in the much-publicized tamper-proof passbooks exposes lack of coordination between the government agencies and departments concerned
6. The mistakes in the passbooks must be rectified and the investment support should be extended to allthe actual beneficiary including the tenant farmers,
Critic regarding this issue alleged that:
- Large-scale irregularities in the land purification works saying that the state government encouraged corruption among the revenue officials involved in the process.
- Incidences of spelling mistakes in pattadaar passbooks also alleged that the authorities had committed mistakes in the identification of actual lands of the beneficiaries.
- The land purification works had only encouraged rampant corruption by revenue officials
Environment; plastic pollution
- On the wake of plastics ban in Maharashtra from June, central railways are exploring the ways to dispose of its plastic bottles.
- Dispose of stored plastic bottles.
- there is no mechanism of collecting the old bottles
- Use of plastic containers entering Maharashtra from other States.
2. Steps to be taken by railway
- Implementing a buyback policy for plastic bottles
- Installing plastic bottle crushing machines at major stations.
- Replace plastic cups with suitable paper or equivalent bio-degradable options at water-vending machines
3. There is still no clarification regarding the implementation of buy back policy.
- Commerce Minister Suresh Prabhu pitched for inclusion of the trade facilitation pact on services at World Trade Organization.
2. Trade facilitation pact on services in World Trade Organization would help promote growth of the global economy.
3. The government raise concern that unless WTO put services sectors are on priority ,it will not be doing full justice to the economic development of the world.