Skip to content
- Researchers from IIT Hyderabad have achieved a sustained release of a drug known as Amphotericin B for up to 10 days.This drug can be used for treating kala-azar.
- This will also help in oral administration of kala-azar drug which currently has major challenges.
- Visceral leishmaniasis(VL) also known as kala-azar is the most severe form of leishmaniasis.The disease without any proper diagnosis and treatment has been associated with high fatality.
- The disease is caused by protozoan parasites of the Leishmania genus, which migrates to the internal organs such as the liver,spleen (hence “visceral”) and bone marrow.
- The signs and symptoms include fever, weight loss, fatigue, anemia and substantial swelling of the liver and spleen.
- Kala Azar is endemic to the Indian subcontinent primarily in four countries namely Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal.Further,India itself accounts for half the global burden of the disease.
- Under National Vector Borne Disease Control Programme(NVBDCP), Government of India is coordinating with endemic States to eliminate the disease.