List of Contents
What is the News?
Indian Scientist from IIT Kanpur has developed an advanced wound dressing Material based on Seaweed Agar.
About Advanced Wound Dressing Material:
- This material is a biodegradable, non-immunogenic wound dressing based on agarose. Agarose is a natural polymer derived from seaweed agar.
- The dressing material can be used for the treatment of infected diabetic wounds and patients suffering from chronic wounds.
- The material was developed with the support of the Advanced Manufacturing Technologies programme of the Department of Science & Technology.
About Advanced Manufacturing Technologies programme:
- The Government has set a growth target for the manufacturing sector from 16% of GDP to reach 25% of GDP by 2025.
- In accordance with this objective, the Department of Science and Technology has initiated this program for developing Advanced Manufacturing Technologies in October 2015
Objectives of the Programme:
- Five thrust areas were selected for developing novel manufacturing technologies:
- Nanomaterials & surfaces,
- Robotics & automation
- Precision manufacturing,
- The manufacturing process of Pharmaceuticals & Biomanufacturing
- Advanced forming & near net shape processing.
- Encourage R&D labs to move some of their activities from “discovery research” towards “industrially relevant R&D”.