News:United States has warned allies to forgo transactions with Russia as this may risk triggering sanctions under CAATSA act.
- India and Russia have concluded the deal for five S-400 ‘Triumf’ missile systems.
- However,the U.S. has warned that the deal would invoke sanctions under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA).
About Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA):
- The Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) is a United States federal law that imposed sanctions on Iran, North Korea, and Russia.
- The act also includes sanctions against countries that engage in significant transactions with Russia’s defense and intelligence sectors.
- S-400 Triumf Missile System is a mobile, surface-to-air missile system (SAM).It has an operational range of over 400 km.
- The S-400 Trimuf can engage all types of aerial targets such as aircraft, ballistic and cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV).
- It can track 100 airborne targets including super fighters such as the American built F-35 and engage six of them simultaneously.