Union Minister to launch “Khadi Prakritik Paint” developed by KVIC
News: Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways will be launching an innovative new called “Khadi Prakritik Paint”.
- Khadi Prakritik Paint: It has been conceptualized by the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) and later developed by Kumarappa National Handmade Paper Institute, Jaipur (a KVIC unit).
- Key Characteristics:
- It is a first-of-its-kind eco-friendly, non-toxic paint with anti-fungal, antibacterial properties.
- Based on cow dung as its main ingredient, the paint is cost-effective and odorless and has been certified by Bureau of Indian Standards.
- The paint is free from heavy metals like lead, mercury, chromium, arsenic, cadmium and others.
- Forms: The paint is available in two forms – distemper paint and plastic emulsion paint.
- Production of Khadi Prakritik Paint is aligned with the Prime Minister’s vision of increasing farmer’s income. The paint is estimated to generate additional income of Rs 30,000 (approx) per annum per animal to farmers/ gaushalas.
- It will be a boost to the local manufacturing and will create sustainable local employment through technology transfer.
- This technology will increase consumption of cow dung as a raw material for eco-friendly products and will generate additional revenue to farmers and gaushalas. Utilization of cow dung will also clean the environment and prevent clogging of drains.
Read Also :upsc current affairs
Union Minister inaugurates Virtual Agri-hackathon 2020
News: Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare has inaugurated the Virtual Agri-hackathon 2020.
- Agri India Hackathon 2020: It is organized by the Department of Agriculture and Cooperation and Farmers Welfare in association with Pusa Krishi, ICAR – Indian Agricultural Research Institute(IARI).
- Objective: It is the largest virtual gathering to create dialogues, and accelerate innovations in agriculture. The hackathon will accept innovations & ideas on farm mechanization, precision agriculture, supply chain & food technology, waste to wealth, green energy among others.
- Rewards for the winners: 24 best innovations from different focus areas will be awarded a cash prize of INR 1 lakh each. The winning innovations will also get an exclusive preference for incubation support, pre-seed & seed-stage funding of 5 Lakhs & 25 Lakhs respectively along with the opportunity of field trial and access to technology validation.