List of Contents
What is the News?
The Union Minister of Earth Science has said that 200 Agro-Automatic Weather Stations(AWS) are being installed under Gramin Krishi Mausam Sewa(GKMS) scheme.
About Gramin Krishi Mausam Sewa(GKMS) Scheme:
- Gramin Krishi Mausam Sewa(GKMS) scheme is an initiative of the Ministry of Earth Science.
- Under the scheme, the India Meteorological Department(IMD) in collaboration with State Agricultural Universities/Indian Council of Agricultural Research are issuing crop and location-specific weather based agro advisories to the farmers.
- These Agromet Advisories are prepared and communicated by the Agromet Field Units(AMFUs) located in the Krishi Vigyan Kendras(KVKs) to the farmers on every Tuesday and Friday.
- Agriculture meteorology (Agromet) is a branch of meteorology that examines the effects and impacts of weather and climate on crops, rangeland, livestock, and various agricultural operations.
- Moreover, IMD also monitors rainfall situations & weather aberrations and issues alerts & warnings to the farmers from time to time under the scheme.
Significance of this Scheme:
- Agromet advisories help farmers to make decisions on day-to-day agricultural operations.
- This can help further optimize the application of input resources at the farm level during deficient rainfall situations and extreme weather events to reduce monetary loss and maximize crop yield.
About Meghdoot App:
- Meghdoot is a mobile app launched by the Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India.
- Aim: It aims to help the farmers to get the weather information including alerts and related agromet advisories specific to their districts.