Relevance – Artificial Intelligence is the future of all machineries. However, Its potential misuse must be stopped for its optimum utlisation.
The Government of India needs to invest in technology and talent in order to counter the danger posed by deep fake technology.
- Roadrunner: A documentary on the late chef Anthony Bourdain showcases the extraordinary advances of artificial intelligence (AI).
- It uses Deep Fake technology to show Bourdain mouthing words he never uttered. The documentary is a wake-up call on potential side effects of AI if it is used with malicious intentions.
About Deep Fakes:
- They are a subfield of AI that allow realistic forgeries of both video and audio.
- The speed of advances in AI have made it possible to create Deep Fakes using freely available software and computer processing power that can be rented.
- AI is perhaps the most transformative technology under development. Consequently, it also brings about entirely new risks.
Risks posed by Deep Fakes:
- Deep Fakes pose a fundamental danger. They can quickly undermine trust, the invisible bond that holds many collectives together.
- There are many examples of Deep Fakes being used by state actors to influence elections and sow seeds of discord.
- The US has been a victim of Deep Fakes. Even in India, Deep Fakes are known to have been circulated in some electoral contests.
- AI’s rapid upgrades, coupled with a transition to digital modes of governance, calls for a new level of safeguards on the part of the Government of India.
- The Government of India needs to adopt a proactive approach against deep fakes like the U.S government. It should invest in talent and technology to cripple hackers’ cyber infrastructure.
- The U.S has been a persistent victim of deep fakes and ransomware attacks, the latest one being the hacking of a critical oil pipeline on the eastern side.