List of Contents
What is the News?
Union Minister has flagged off an all-women crew onboard Shipping Corporation of India(SCI) vessel named “MT Swarna Krishna”. This initiative was taken to celebrate International Women’s Day.
What is the significance of this initiative?
- This is the first time in the world maritime history that a ship is being sailed by all women officers.
- The move also demonstrated the gradual shift in the perception of seafaring as a male-oriented profession and the principles of Diversity & Inclusion that SCI upholds.
MT Swarna Krishna Vessel:
- MT Swarna Krishna was built in 2010. It is a shipping tanker of the Shipping Corporation of India Limited(SCI).
Shipping Corporation of India Limited(SCI):
- Established in: SCI is a Government of India Public Sector Enterprise. It was established in 1961 by an amalgamation of Eastern Shipping Corporation and Western Shipping Corporation.
- Purpose: It operates and manages vessels that service both the national and international lines.
- Strategic Disinvestment: In 2019, the Union Cabinet had accorded ”in-principle” approval for strategic disinvestment of SCI.
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
International Women’s Day:
- International Women’s Day(IWD) (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. This day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
- In 1975, the United Nations celebrated Women’s day for the first time. Then in 1977, the UN General Assembly adopted a resolution proclaiming a United Nations Women’s Day.
- Theme for 2021: The theme is “Women in leadership: Achieving an equal future in a COVID-19 world”. And the campaign theme is #ChooseToChallenge.
Source: The Hindu