News:The Andhra Pradesh Cabinet has cleared the A.P. Disha Bill,2019 (A.P. Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2019).
Key features of the bill:
- The bill allows for death penalty for heinous offences such as rape and gang-rape.
- The bill also proposes to amend the Code of Criminal Procedure for serious rape cases so that if sufficient conclusive evidence was available the investigation should be done in seven working days.
- The trial is expected to be completed within 14 working days taking the total time for a judgement in the case to 21 working days from the existing 4 months.
- The proposed law also seeks to amend relevant provisions in the Indian Penal Code,1860, and the Code of Criminal Procedure,1973 to introduce Sections 354-E and 354-F.
- Under Section 354-E (harassment of women through social media, digital mode or any other form), it has been proposed to sentence the guilty to imprisonment for up to two years on first conviction and four years on subsequent convictions.
- Under Section 354-F (molestation / sexual assault), imprisonment is sought to be increased to a minimum of five years and maximum seven years.