|Demand of the question |
Introduction. Contextual Introduction.
Body. Global and strategic significance of India-China relationship. How these relations can be strengthened?
Conclusion. Way forward.
The world is visualising dominance of Asian economics, politics and culture, centred around India and China. The growing importance and emphasis of unity in Asia, demand progressive relationships among countries especially India and China. Both countries represent 40% of the world and are centre of growth in Asia. Thus relationship between two countries is paramount to realisation of Asian century.
Global and strategic significance of India-China relationship:
- Economic significance: Asia is experiencing robust economic performance over the three decades, spearheaded by India and China. Robust growth can’t be realised without economic development of the two countries and moving out millions of people in the region out of poverty. Both nation must enhance bilateral relations in a positive way leading to a path of development.
- Demographic dividend: Population growth in Asia is expected to continue for at least the first half of the 21st century. This will result in huge demographic dividend in the region. Thus coordination between two nations by providing opportunities and employment driven by economic growth is necessary.
- Investment: India and China relations has not reached full potential due to lack of bilateral investments. Where China can provide market for India to invest in pharmaceutical industry, agricultural products, software industry; India is a market for China for its technological industry. Creation of New Development Bank, Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank, and Asian Development Bank are new engine of growth in the region. These institutions would fail without cooperation among New Delhi and Beijing.
- Success of global organisations: Global Organisations like Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, United nation, etc and economic deals like Trans Pacific partnership and RCEP are centre for geo-economics and geo-politics. These platforms as a centre of collective progress would be successful only when two engines of growth cooperate with each other and work together.
- Regional Stability: Terrorism has impacted regional structures in South Asian countries in a negative way. It is very important for two countries to stand together against terrorism to promote stability in the region. Regional stability would ensure mutual growth and global peace.
How these relations can be strengthened?
- Establishment of bilateral group with experts from both countries who would workout a plan for further cooperation.
- Capacity building in combating terrorism of intelligence, police, military and para-military forces through training.
- Promotion of greater coordination to resolve boundary disputes among two nations.
- Correction of bilateral trade balance to ensure mutual economic development.
- Legal and moral support to each other at all international platforms.
- Increase people to people contacts through tourism and cultural exchange.
It should be noted that China continues to have border skirmishes and unbalanced trade negotiations with India. China has been seen with a lot of speculation not just in India, but outside as well and on various fronts. Without Chinese cooperation and change in attitude it is tough to realise progress on bilateral relations. India should push China for better relations and should try to establish trust among among two nations. Without harmony among two nations, both nations and world cannot progress much.