|Demand of the question |
Introduction. Contextual Introduction.
Body. How of states’ are important to face climate change. How India can achieve sustainable development?
Conclusion. Way forward.
Climate change is a global phenomenon having no boundaries. It requires a nationwide effort especially efforts at local and state level. It is responsibilities of all sectors to contain climate change. But a more active role for climate change action is needed to be played by the states.
Role of states to tackle the climate change?
- States need to play an active role on important environmental issued by functioning as policy innovators, testing successful policies been adopted across the world.
- States plays an important role in understanding of the local situation and circumstances and help in coordination with all the stakeholders.
- State action on climate change is needed to achieve the reductions targets on the ground.
- They play an important role in policy formulation through local inputs and conveying regional differences. E.g Hill states needs and action differ and are more important than other states wrt climate change action.
- States are responsible for on the ground implementation of national policies.
- State governments’ legislation along with national legislation are critical for wide action on the ground.
- States role is also important to check any environmental damaging act and policy of centre. Also it put pressure on centre to act against climate change as they are voice of local community.
How India should shape its economic policies in light of climate change:
- Economic policies should focus on protecting the poor and vulnerable sections of society through an inclusive and sustainable development strategy, sensitive to climate change.
- It should focus on achieving national growth through ecological sustainable way
- Focus should be on devising efficient and cost-effective strategies for Demand Side Management in a sustainable way.
- Digitisation should be increased so as to reduce burden on environment for paper.
- Efforts to deploy appropriate technologies for both adaptation and mitigation of greenhouse gases emissions through policies is needed.
- It should also focus on new and innovative forms of market, regulatory and voluntary mechanisms to promote sustainable development.
- The implementation of programmes by including civil society and local government institutions and through public- private partnership should be priority.
- Also efforts should be made to achieve international cooperation for research, development, sharing and transfer of technologies .
- Green energies and green projects should be promoted.
Climate change is real and demand effective state role and economic policies. Coordination at all level is required. Also sustainable development should be focus of both states and centre. Community and society should also understand their responsibilities and should work for a sustainable future.