|Introduction: Contextual introduction.|
Body: Explain how setting up foreign universities in India can halt educational emigration. Also write some arguments against this.
Conclusion: Write a way forward.
Recently the University Grants Commission (UGC) unveiled draft norms for allowing, for the first time, foreign universities to set up campuses in India. They have been given autonomy to decide the admission procedure and fee structure. Over 6.5 lakh Indian students went abroad in 2022 to pursue higher education, according to data shared by the Union education department.
How it can halt educational emigration?
- According to a recent survey by INTO University Partnerships, almost eight in 10 Indian students (76 per cent to be precise) look at a study abroad plan to work and settle overseas after completing their international degree.
- Indian students who want to study abroad will be more than a millionin the near future. Campuses of foreign universities in India can admit only a fraction of the students going abroad.
- Foreign universities in India willbridge the gap between the skill-development system and traditional degree education by identifying and mitigating bottlenecks in India’s skill development ecosystem.
- It will also augmenttechnology transfer, research and innovation in the country. This will further lead to the creation of strategic training programmes and a pool of proficient individuals who can leverage emerging global opportunities.
- This provides an opportunity to tap into the very large pool ofNRI educators in universities all over the world and who can bring the best of both local knowledge and international experience and connections.
What are the challenges to halt emigration that still remains?
However due to following points this step may not halt educational emigration:
- Educational emigration will remain high unless India strengthens the skill development ecosystem in higher education.
- Students go there for different reasons such as living experience in the developed world, staying in different culture, work experience, migrate etc.
- University campuses in the US not only offer a vibrant community of international scholarship, but also an ecosystem of internships, apprenticeships, skill development and vocational training courses.
- Foreign varsities that offer their curricula in India can only provide a part of the experience enjoyed by students who study abroad.
- The courses offered in foreign institutes have strong interdisciplinary componentsthat branch into skill-development and vocational training. Indian students who wish to bring their skills on a par with global industry requirements, would prefer to go to a university’s home campus.
India needs to improve the condition of Higher education, to ensure it becomes attractive to both Indian as well as foreign students.