|Demand of the question |
Introduction. Contextual Introduction.
Body. Mission and objectives of NCRB. Discuss the role of NCRB in keeping the government accountable.
Conclusion. Way forward.
The National Crime Records Bureau, is a government agency responsible for collecting and analysing crime data. It was set up to function as a repository of information on crime and criminals so as to assist the investigators in linking crime to the perpetrators.
Mission of NCRB:
- Mission of NRCB is to Empower Indian Police with Information Technology and criminal Intelligence to enable them to uphold law and protect people.
- And also to provide leadership and excellence in crime analysis particularly for serious and organized crime.
Objectives of NCRB:
- Create and maintain secure sharable National Databases on crimes and criminals for law enforcement agencies and promote their use for public service delivery.
- Collect and process crime statistics at the national level and clearing house of information on crime and criminals both at National and International levels.
- Lead and coordinate development of IT applications and create an enabling IT environment for Police organizations.
- National repository of fingerprints of all criminals.
- To evaluate, modernize and promote automation in State Crime Records Bureaux and State Finger Print Bureaux.
- Training and capacity building in Police Forces in Information Technology and Finger Print Science.
Role of NCRB in government accountability:
- It collect and process crime statistics at the National level that help people to keep government account for any increase in crime and law and order issues.
- It receive from and supply data to penal and correctional agencies for their tasks of rehabilitation of criminals, their remand, parole, premature release etc. Thus any inaction is being reflected in data released by NCRB.
- Data released by NCRB is considered by civil societies in analysing government effectiveness in maintaining law and order, thus keeping government accountable.
- Crime rate and Cases of discrimination like gender discrimination when increase in society, put pressure on government and institutions to act.
NCRB is the Nodal Agency for authentic source of data on crime, accidents, suicides, and prisons for policy matters and research. Ultimately it empower institutions with Information Technology and criminal Intelligence to enable them to uphold law and protect people and to provide leadership and excellence in crime analysis particularly for serious and organized crime.