|Demand of the question Introduction. Contextual introduction. Body. Mention difference between attitude and aptitude. Discuss whether aptitude or attitude is more important for leading a successful life. Conclusion. Way forward.|
Aptitude is the potential of a person to do certain things due to the innate ability or accumulated knowledge and experience. Since it has more to do with intelligence, it can be acquired and enhanced through training and experience. Attitude is the way a person understands, perceives and responds to certain situations. It is more of a behavioural aspect and can be improved gradually via introspection and self-motivation. It cannot be quantified.
Differences between attitude and aptitude:
|Attitude is related to existing abilities and skills with certain perceptions. It is how a person perceives something.||Aptitude is the potential ability to acquire skills, abilities and knowledge. It is more about management of a problem or situation.|
|Attitude is a positive or negative or indifferent feeling towards a person, object, event or idea.||Aptitude is a competency (ability) to do certain kind of work.|
|Attitude is associated with character or virtues. It means attitude depends upon underlying values.||Aptitude is associated with skill enhancement, learning and training.|
|Attitude is a more mental and psychological process. It means a person’s attitude is intrinsic and is shaped through his thoughts.||Aptitude is both mental and physical. To develop an aptitude both physical means say visual means and mental processes are important.|
What is more important for a successful life: attitude or aptitude?
Several elements play a vital role in achieving success, but it all starts where attitude meets aptitude. If you have the right attitude but lack the required aptitude, success can be difficult. Attitude defines how you work or proceed toward your goal. Aptitude, on the other hand, defines how much potential you have to learn specific skills or gain knowledge that will help you achieve your goal.
- Importance of attitude:
- Attitude is the key to success because it can push one forward or slow you down. Right attitude means knowing what you are capable of accomplishing. Ambition, determination, and commitment fuel the right attitude, also known as a positive attitude. A study by Leadership IQ revealed that 46% of hired people are likely to fail in the first 12-18 months on the job. The high failure rate is not because they lack skills or knowledge, but because they do not possess the right attitude.
- Attitude is one of the most important factors in helping one to get through the highs and lows of life. Since attitude spells how a person copes, whatever perspective one holds will invariably have an effect in one’s performance and the way one handle rejection.
- Attitude often takes precedence because the right attitude helps influence other aspects like emotional intelligence, leadership, team spirit, fraternity, empathy, compassion, which are very vital for a civil servant.
- The ability to fit in with the culture and values of the company or organisation is crucial which demands a positive attitude to adapt. Many opportunities are lost, withheld, and forfeited because of attitude than from any other cause. For example, a negative attitude can make a student fail in an exam, but never give-up attitude can make him successful.
- Importance of aptitude: The importance of aptitude also needs to be emphasised. Attitude alone is not sufficient, one must be certain that he has learned the required skills.
- Aptitude is important as it provides the requisite flexibility, passion and leadership skills that can make or break a candidate’s fulfilment of their job description.
- In a constantly changing work environment, aptitude is crucial if one wants to succeed. If you have the potential to learn new skills and develop them over a time, success will not be far.
- One of the most important aspects is that aptitude helps to identify one’s interest and core strength area. A person can learn and develop skills in working with his strength areas and succeed.
Thus, a balanced approach is probably the best one. An ideal is a combination of experience and a positive attitude. Both attitude and aptitude are important, and emphasising one over the other has definite drawbacks. E.g. MS Dhoni is able to take leadership in any format or team because of his right attitude of remaining patient and supportive towards his team mates with having great aptitude of cricket.