|Demand of the question|
Introduction. Contextual Introduction.
Body. Contribution of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad to pre-and post independent India.
Conclusion. Way forward.
Maulana Azad was a Indian Scholar and Muslim Leader of Indian National Congress during Indian Independence Movement. Post Indian Independence, he became the First Minister of Education in Indian Government. He played an important role in Hindu-Muslim unity and never supported India’s partition.
Contributions of Maulana Azad:
- Hindu-Muslim unity: During his young age, he rose to prominence through his work as journalist, publishing works critical of British Raj and espousing causes of Indian nationalism. He worked for Hindu-Muslim unity through the Al-Hilal newspaper.
- Khilafat movement: Maulana Azad was a prominent Leader in Khilafat Movement in which he came in close contact with National Leaders such as Mahatma Gandhi, Vallabh Bhai Patel and Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- Non-cooperation movement: Maulana Was disheartened by the Rowlatt Act of 1919 and worked to organise the Non-Cooperation Movement and Protests in opposition of the Act. He Organised several agitations and worked in the able guidance of Gandhi Ji and his principles.
- Dharasana Satyagraha: He was one of main organisers of the Dharasana Satyagraha in 1931 and emerged as one of the most important national leaders of the time, prominently leading causes of Hindu-Muslim unity as well as espousing secularism and socialism.
- Protest against Two Nation Theory: Maulana criticised Jinnah over Two Nation Theory and believed that Hindu and Muslims can co-exist in Independent India.
- Quit India Movement: He played a significant role in the Quit India Movement by meeting a large number of People in rallies and led agitations and protests against Colonial Government. He served as the Congress president from 1940 to 1945, during which the Quit India movement was launched.
- India’s independence: He negotiated with the British Cabinet mission for India’s independence. Further, he was strictly against India’s partition even after acceptance of partition by Gandhiji.
- Member of Constitution assembly: He was a member of constituent assembly and helped in shaping the Constitution of India.
- Education: He was the first Union Minister of education. He played a pivotal role in foundation of IIT, UGC, AICTE, Sahitya Academy, Lalit Kala Academy, Sangeet Natak Academy and many other educational initiations in India.
- Research: He held portfolios of Natural resources and scientific research. He played a pivotal role in foundation of CSIR and scientific research laboratories in India.
Maulana’s contributions in Indian Independence are very significant and vital. He considered Gandhiji as his Ideal and worked on his principles and political lines. His contributions will be remembered and acknowledged by generations to come. For his service to the nation, he was posthumously awarded the country’s highest civilian award, the Bharat Ratna.