|Demand of the question|
Introduction. Contextual introduction.
Body. Discuss the need and importance of National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage.
Conclusion. Way forward.
National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage is the framework for a Phased Manufacturing Program (PMP), aimed at localising the production of electric vehicles (EV) and its components within the country. With recent climate change, India has made various efforts to reduce its carbon mission. An effort is made through emphasis on electric vehicles through the FAME scheme.
Need of National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage:
- Low-cost electric vehicle: Battery technology is the primary hurdle in having a low cost electric vehicle. So the need for better and affordable batteries is the need of the hour.
- Increasing efficiency of vehicles: There is a need to increase vehicle efficiency. This will help in reducing energy consumption and will enable a vehicle to travel the same distance on a smaller battery.
- Need of innovation: Automobile sector needs to focus on innovation to enhance the performance of electric vehicles.
- Focusing battery production: Indian automobile industry needs a focus on battery life to enhance the performance of EVs. India needs to encourage manufacturing of battery cells in India.
- Need of power-electronics: EVs use power-electronics extensively. Power-electronics industry in India has not kept pace with new developments. India would need a new power-electronics industry. A special effort is needed to promote such industries.
Importance of National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage initiative:
- Electric vehicle ecosystem: The Mission will provide mobility solutions that will bring in significant benefits to the Electric vehicle industry, economy and country. The Mission will recommend and drive the strategies for transformative mobility and Phased Manufacturing Programmes for Electric Vehicles, EV Components and Batteries.
- Improve air quality: This mission will help in improving air quality in cities along with reducing India’s oil import dependence and enhance the uptake of renewable energy and storage solutions.
- Develop domestic manufacturing ecosystem: The Mission will lay down the strategy and roadmap which will enable India to leverage upon its size and scale to develop a competitive domestic manufacturing ecosystem for electric mobility.
- Ease of Living: Affordable, accessible, inclusive and safe mobility solutions are primary strategic levers for rapid economic development and improving ‘Ease of Living’ and will benefit all citizens by enhancing the quality of life of citizens.
- Employment: It will also provide employment opportunities through ‘Make-in-India’ across a range of skills.
India has a significant market potential for batteries and electric vehicles. Electric vehicles are creating a big demand and due to this demand, the cost of batteries will further come down. The National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage initiative is an important step in this regard.