What is the news?
The government recently conducted successful user trials for Helina and Dhruv Astra Missile Systems. The tests were carried out from the Advanced Light Helicopter(ALH) platform in desert ranges.
About Helina and Dhruv Astra Missile Systems:
- These are third generation fire and forget Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM). Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) indigenously designed and developed these missiles.
- Helina (Helicopter-launched Nag) is the army version of the missile, whereas Dhruva Astra is the air force version.
Key Features of the Missiles:
- The Missiles operate on lock-on-before launch mode which helps extend their strike range.
- Top Attack Mode: The missile is required to climb sharply after launch. Further, it travels at a certain altitude, then plunge on top of the target.
- Direct Attack Mode: The missile travels at a lower altitude, directly striking the target.
- The missiles have all-weather day and night capability. They can defeat battle tanks with conventional armour as well as with explosive reactive armour.