- Justice Sanjeev Sachdeva rejected a private company official’s plea for an arms license, a request which was denied to him by the licensing authority of the police as well as Lieutenant-Governor Anil Baijal.
Reasons behind decline
- According to Delhi High Court, no one has a fundamental right to possess a weapon.
- The judge made comments about how possessing weapons is more about showing off and status symbol than self-defense.
- The judge held the society to not a lawless one that individuals would need to acquire arms to protect themselves.
- The object of the Arms Act is to ensure that weapons are available to citizens for self-defense,