- The Army will resume the trials of the U.S. made M777 ultra light howitzer in the Pokhran firing range.
2. The Army had received four guns for the trials.
3. The trials will be conducted by the U.S. government and India will be an observer.
4. Local ammunition will be used.
5. In 2016, India signed a deal with the U.S. government under the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) programme for 145 M777 guns.
6. Of the 145 guns, 25 will be imported while the remaining 120 will be assembled in the country in partnership with Mahindra group.
7. M777 gun delivery programme: Is a 155 mm, 39 calibre towed artillery gun made of titanium and aluminum alloys.