Social Issues Law, faith, unreason: (The Hindu, Editorial)
- Banning ‘evil’ practices by law is not enough.
- Social reform must be broad-based.
- Mere legislation is not enough to eradicate superstition from society.
Government Policies SC lifts veil on Collegium recommendations: (The Hindu)
- The Supreme Court Collegium is headed by Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra.
- It has resolved to go public with all its recommendations to the government on judicial appointments, transfers and elevations to the High Courts and Supreme Court.
- Concerns over hate speech online is legitimate.
- But, the spirit of SC ruling must not be violated.
- An expert committee appointed by government has proposed amending the Code of Criminal Procedure, Indian Penal Code and the IT Act.
Indian Economy GST Council gives relief to exporters, small businesses: (The Hindu)
- Option of quarterly payments.
- Dates set for input credit.
- Rates cut on 27 items.
- The government has proposed an overhaul in the contract labour law.
- It includes a three-year licence for contractors to work across the country instead of a separate one for new work orders.
- Finance ministry must recapitalize better public sector banks.
- This will strengthen distressed balance sheets.
Prelims Related News
‘Hypertension high in Kerala, low in Bihar’:
- Non-communicable diseases (NCDs) have become a threat to global health.
- A recent study has pointed out that the increase in incidence of NCDs can be attributed to change in food habits, sedentary behavior and unhealthy lifestyle.