News:Sweden has created two $1 million prizes named “Food Planet Prize” for solutions to feed billions of people.
About the Prize:
- The Prize will be presented annually by the Curt Bergfors Foundation in Sweden.
- Aim:To recognize ground-breaking initiatives from around the world that addresses the climate change threats towards food supply.
- The prize will be given for two categories namely the a) existing scalable solution for sustainable foods and b) innovative initiatives that could transform the global food sector.
News:Nature Ranking Index 2020 has been released by the Nature Index.
About the Index:
- The rankings are based on the total research output which the institutions have carried out from December,2018 to November,2019.
- The research output means the total citations in numbers and sharing percentage per article.
Key takeaways from the index:
- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research(CSIR) has topped the index.
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc),Bangalore has been ranked second.
- The third place has been secured by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research(TIFR-Mumbai).
News:Recently,the Supreme Court has appointed interlocutors for mediation with the anti-Citizenship Amendment Act protesters to end their blockade of a public road.Mediation is a part of Alternative Disputes Resolution(ADR) mechanisms
About Alternative Disputes Resolution(ADR):
- Alternative dispute resolution includes dispute resolution process and techniques that act as a means for disagreeing parties to come to an agreement short of litigation.
- ADR is mentioned under Section 89 of the Civil Procedure Code.The several ADR mechanisms are: (a) Arbitration (b) Conciliation (c)Mediation and (d) Lok Adalats.
- Arbitration:It is a method of resolution in which dispute is submitted to an arbitral tribunal which makes a decision on the dispute that is mostly binding on the parties.
- Mediation:It is a non-binding procedure in which an impartial third party known as a mediator tries to facilitate the resolution process but he cannot impose the resolution and the parties are free to decide according to their convenience and terms.
- Conciliation:It is also a non-binding procedure in which the conciliator assists the parties to a dispute to arrive at a mutually satisfactory and agreed settlement of the dispute.
- Lok Adalats:It is a forum where disputes/cases pending in the court of law or at pre-litigation stage are settled/ compromised amicably.Lok Adalats have been given statutory status under the Legal Services Authorities Act,1987.
News:Recently,Scientists have proposed the construction of the Northern European Enclosure Dam(NEED) enclosing all of the North Sea to protect Northern European countries from Sea-level Rise(SLR).
- The Northern European Enclosure Dam(NEED) project involves the construction of dams of a combined length of 637 km enclosing all of the North Sea.
- The first dam will be between a) France and England and the second dam between b) Scotland and Norway.
- The dams will hence separate the North and Baltic Seas from the Atlantic Ocean to protect Northern European countries against Sea level Rise(SLR).
About North Sea:
- The North Sea is a sea that is part of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Europe.
- It is surrounded by Norway and Denmark in the east, Scotland and England in the west, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and France in the south.
News:According to the data from Childline India Foundation,one in every 10 calls made to the child emergency helpline 1098 was of child abuse.
Key takeaways from the data:
- The largest number of phone calls were made to seek intervention for Child abuse cases followed by those pertaining to child labour , education , runaways and missing children.
- The nature of abuse children suffered shows that 37% of the complaints were about child marriage, 27% about physical abuse , 13% regarding sexual abuse among others.
- The data also shows that 35% of the total cases of sexual abuse were committed by neighbours, 25% by strangers and 11% by family members.
About CHILDLINE India Foundation(CIF):
- CHILDLINE India Foundation(CIF) is the nodal agency of the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- It acts as the parent organisation for setting up, managing and monitoring the childline 1098 service all over the country.
- It is also the sole agency responsible for monitoring childline service delivery and finance, training, research and documentation, creating awareness, advocacy as well as resource generation for the service.
News:The 4th Anniversary of the launch of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM) will be observed on 21st February,2020.
About the SPMRM:
- Launched in 2016 by the Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- Aim:To stimulate local economic development, enhance basic services, and create well planned Rurban clusters.
- Under the mission,300 Rurban clusters are envisaged to be developed in a time bound manner.
How will the Rurban Clusters be selected?
- The State Governments would identify the clusters in accordance with the Framework for Implementation prepared by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- The clusters will be geographically contiguous Gram Panchayats with a population of about 25000 to 50000 in plain and coastal areas and a population of 5000 to 15000 in desert, hilly or tribal areas.
- As far as possible, clusters of villages would follow administrative convergence units of Gram Panchayats.
Funding:The mission is a Core Centrally Sponsored Scheme with two fund streams namely:
- Convergence through various Central sector schemes, centrally sponsored schemes, State sector/ sponsored schemes/ programmes, CSR funds and
- Critical Gap Funds(CGF) of upto Rs. 30 crore per cluster for Non-tribal clusters and upto Rs. 15 crore per cluster for Tribal and Hilly State clusters.
- To bridge the rural-urban divide-economically, technologically and those related to facilities and services.
- Spreading development in the region.
- Attracting investments in the rural areas.
- Stimulating local economic development with emphasis on reduction of poverty and unemployment in the rural areas.
News:The Government of Telangana in association with the MedTechConnect has launched Project Tej.
About Project Tej:
- It is a platform to help entrepreneurs test their innovative ideas in the field of medical technologies.
- Under this,medical technology innovators and device manufacturers can validate the usability of their devices in public health settings and gain access to public health channels.
- MedTechConnect was set up by engineering services company Cyient and Xynteo’s India2022 Coalition.
News:The Railway Board Chairman has launched the HRMS Mobile App.
About the app:
- The mobile application has been developed by the Centre for Railway Information System(CRIS).
- The app allows railway employees to see the data related to their service and communicate with administration for any changes required.
- The Ministry of Railways had set up Centre for Railway Information System(CRIS) as a society in July 1986.It is headquartered in New Delhi.
- Its area of work includes information systems from all disciplines and functions of the Indian Railways.
News:According to Singapore-based cybersecurity company,around 98% of sensitive credit card details that are there on the darknet are of Indian customers.These details could have been stolen through phishing, malware or JS-sniffers.
- It is the act of sending an email to a user falsely claiming to be an established legitimate enterprise in an attempt to scam the user into surrendering private information that will be used for identity theft.
- Malware (malicious software) refers to any kind of software that is designed to cause damage to a single computer, server or computer network.
- It is an umbrella term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive malicious software including computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware and ransomware among others.
- Under this,instead of physically attaching a device to an ATM, a JS sniffer uses a few lines of code injected onto an e-commerce site to skim data that consumers use to buy goods.