What is the News?
The Union Home Ministry is planning an awareness campaign for the National Population Register(NPR) and Census.
- Need: As per a parliamentary committee, there is a lot of dissatisfaction and fear among people regarding the upcoming NPR and Census exercise.
- Communication Campaign: Ministry will use the right kind of messaging to tackle the miscommunication and rumours around NPR and Census. All kinds of media like social media, digital, outdoor, print, and word of mouth will be used for that.
- During the NPR exercise, no document is to be collected. Only the demographic and other particulars of each family and individual are to be updated/collected.
- Information Collected in Census: As per the provisions contained in Section 15 of the Census Act,1948, all individual-level information collected in Census is confidential. In Census, only aggregated data are released at various administrative levels.
- Postponed Census and NPR: The first phase of the Census and National Population Register(NPR) has been postponed indefinitely due to COVID-19.
Source: The Hindu