Source: This post is based on the article “‘Ayush Minister Shri Sarbananda Sonowal’ announces major plans for Boosting Ayush Initiatives in Northeast” published in PIB on 28th August 2021.
What is the News?
Union Minister of Ayush has announced a number of major initiatives planned to boost the traditional medicinal practices in the northeastern states of India.
Major Initiatives Announced:
Health and Wellness Centres:
- The Government of India will set up 1,000 health and wellness centres (HWC) in the Northeast as a part of the National Ayush Mission(NAM) for the growth and development of Ayush systems.
- The aim of these centres will be to provide a holistic wellness model based on principles of Ayush systems of medicine.
- The Ministry of Ayush will provide ₹70 crore for the establishment of a new ayurvedic college at Dudhnoi in Assam’s Goalpara.
- The Y-Break mobile application has been developed by MDNIY (Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga).
- Through this app, yoga and meditation can be done anywhere in just 5 minutes.
- Under the programme, saplings will be distributed to households to promote the concept of growing medicinal plants in the kitchen garden. It will help households to use the medicines from their gardens for common illnesses.
Schemes Mentioned in the Article:
The scheme on Conservation, Development and Sustainable Management of Medicinal Plants:
- It is a Central Sector Scheme.
- The scheme is implemented by the National Medicinal Plants Board, Ministry of Ayush.
Objectives of the scheme: Under the scheme, the following activities are supported for the management of medicinal plants:
- In-situ conservation/ Ex-situ conservation of medicinal plants.
- To support joint forest management committees (JFMCs) for value addition, drying, warehousing and augmenting marketing infrastructure.
- IEC activities like Training/ Workshops/ Seminars/ Conference etc.
- Research & Development.
- Promotion, marketing and trade of medicinal plants produce.