What is the News?
The Ministry of Ayush has launched a massive nationwide campaign to distribute two key products. One is the Ayurvedic drug AYUSH 64. The other is the Sidha drug Kabasura Kudineer. Both will provide benefit to the vast majority of out of hospital Covid-19 patients.
About Ayush 64:
- Firstly, Ayush-64 is a polyherbal Ayurvedic Drug (i.e. use of more than one herb).
- Secondly, the drug was developed by the Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences(CCRAS). CCRAS is the apex body for research in Ayurveda under the Ministry of Ayush.
- Thirdly, the drug was originally developed in 1980 for the management of Malaria.
- Fourthly, However, this drug has now been repurposed for Covid-19.
- Fifthly, the ingredients of this drug showed notable antiviral, immune-modulator, and antipyretic(reducing fever) properties.
- Sixthly, the drug can be useful for the treatment of asymptomatic, mild, and moderate COVID-19 infection cases.
About Kabasura Kudineer:
- Kabasura Kudineer is a Siddha formulated drug. It has been found to be useful in the treatment of asymptomatic, mild, and moderate COVID-19 infection cases.
- Siddha is a traditional medicine originating in South India. It is one of the oldest systems of medicine in India.