News:The first-ever Prosperity & Inclusion City Seal and Awards(PICSA) Index has been released.
About the index:
- The index has been prepared by the Basque institutions and compiled by D&L Partners.
- The index measures factors such as the affordability of housing and access to education and healthcare, besides GDP per capita.
- The index has ranked 113 cities across the globe in terms of their inclusive prosperity.
- This is the first time that the world’s major cities have been ranked not just by the size and health of their economy, but for their efforts to build an inclusive and prosperous environments for all its citizens.
Key takeaways from the index:
- The index has been topped by Zurich in Switzerland.It is followed by Vienna and Copenhagen in the second and third place respectively.
- The Zurich was ranked first as it scores strongly across all measures, particularly on quality of life, work, housing, leisure, safety, and education with the Swiss higher education system attaining an especially high score.
- Bangalore has emerged as India’s highest-ranked city at No. 83 in the index.Delhi at 101 and Mumbai at 107 are the other Indian cities to make at the index.
- The index has also said that many of the world’s wealthiest cities are failing to create inclusive economies for their citizens.
- The report further noted that a large number of cities in Africa, Asia and South America are ranked towards the bottom of the index, underscoring the huge poverty and inequality challenges they face.