Skip to content
- Bangladesh is studying the feasibility of applying Sterile Insect Technique(SIT) to control the dengue outbreak.
- For this,a team of experts from WHO-FAO and IAEA has arrived in Bangladesh to discuss the feasibility of this technique.
- The sterile insect technique is an environmentally-friendly insect pest control method.
- Under this,radiation sterilised male mosquitoes are released in areas with dengue causing female Aedes aegypti mosquitoes turning them infertile.
- This technique has been tested successfully at two sites in Guangzhou in China.
- Dengue is a mosquito-borne viral disease caused by the Dengue virus. In this case,dengue virus is transmitted by female Aedes aegypti mosquitoes.