News: India’s first In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) calf of Banni breed of buffaloes was born at a farmer’s house in Gir Somnath district, Gujarat.
About Banni Buffaloes:
- They are also known as “Kutchi” or “Kundi”. It is a breed of buffalo found primarily in the Kutch district of Gujarat.
- This breed of buffaloes is usually bred and preserved by a local community found in Kutch, called the ‘Maldharis‘.
- Banni Buffaloes has higher milk production potentials and is also more disease resilient when compared to other common breeds.
- Hence, they were chosen to help the country to multiply the population of genetically superior buffaloes, resulting in higher milk yield.
- They are also well-adapted to survive extreme weather conditions such as water scarcity, frequent droughts, low humidity and high temperatures.