Skip to content
- Bar Council of India has decided to impose a three year moratorium on the opening of new law colleges.This has been done in order to ensure that the quality of education does not get compromised.
- However,the moratorium will not apply to National Law University,if it is proposed by a state government where there is no such varsity.
- Bar Council of India(BCI) is a statutory body created by Parliament to regulate and represent the Indian bar.It was established by Parliament under the Advocates Act,1961.
- It performs the regulatory function by prescribing standards of professional conduct and etiquette and by exercising disciplinary jurisdiction over the bar.
- BCI also sets standards for legal education and grants recognition to Universities whose degree in law will serve as qualification for enrolment as an advocate.