What is the News?
Border Roads Organisation (BRO) has constructed and completed black topping of the world’s highest motorable road at Umling La Pass in Eastern Ladakh. The road was built under the ‘Project Himank’.
About Project Himank:
- Project Himank is a project of the Border Roads Organisation(BRO) in the Ladakh region of northernmost India that started in 1985.
- Under the project, BRO is responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads and related infrastructure in Ladakh along the Line of Actual Control(LAC).
- Moreover, the project also ensures access to sensitive military areas including the world’s highest battleground at the Siachen Glacier and Pangong Tso Lake whose waters span the de facto India-China border.
About Umling La Pass:
- Umling La is located in the Eastern Ladakh region. The world’s highest motorable road is now situated at the height of 19,300 feet at Umling La Pass.
- The road at the Umlingla Pass connects the important towns in the Chumar sector of Eastern Ladakh.
- The road is close to the Line of Actual Control(LAC) and will allow quick movement of troops and equipment.