What is the News?
Blue Nature Alliance has been launched with a goal to restore 7 million square miles of ocean in five years.
About Blue Nature Alliance:
- Blue Nature Alliance is a global partnership. It was founded and led by Conservation International, Pew Charitable Trusts, Global Environment Facility(GEF), Minderoo Foundation and Rob & Melani Walton Foundation.
- Aim: To safeguard global ocean biodiversity, build resilience to climate change, promote human well-being and enhance ecosystem connectivity.
- Targets: The alliance has a target to:
- Conserve 18 million square kilometres of ocean in five years.
- Protect 5% of the world’s ocean in five years.
- Help the world achieve 30% ocean conservation by 2030.
- Target Oceans: The Alliance has started by targeting seven ocean locations. This includes Antarctica, Fiji, Canada, Seychelles, Palau, the Western Indian Ocean and Tristan da Cunha, an island in the South Atlantic Ocean.
- The alliance will begin work by working with local communities and national leaders. It aims to establish new marine protected areas (MPAs) and improve the management of existing ones.
About Conservation International(CI):
- Conservation International(CI) is an American nonprofit environmental organization. It was founded in 1987.
- Objective: Its mission is to spotlight and secure the critical benefits that nature provides to humanity. Such as food, freshwater, livelihoods and a stable climate,etc.
- Headquarters: Virginia, USA.