List of Contents
What is the News?
India virtually hosted the 7th meeting of the BRICS Astronomy Working Group (BAWG) under the Science, Technology, and Innovation track of the BRICS 2021.
Note: India has assumed the BRICS Presidency from January 2021.
About BRICS Astronomy Working Group(BAWG):
- Astronomy was established as one of five thematic science areas within BRICS at a ministerial meeting held in South Africa in 2014.
- Formed in: The BRICS Astronomy Working Group(BAWG) established in 2015.
- Purpose: The group provides a platform for the BRICS member countries to collaborate in the field of astronomy.
About 7th BRICS Astronomy Working Group(BAWG) Meeting:
- The Department of Science and Technology(DST), Government of India, and Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Pune coordinated the meeting from the Indian side.
- During the meeting, the countries recommended the networking of existing telescopes in BRICS countries and creating regional data networks.
- Further, the members recommended that each country should present the scientific results of the work being carried out in their country.
- Moreover, the countries indicated research in the following areas. Such as, building networks of intelligent telescopes, a study of transient astronomical phenomena in the universe, Big data, Artificial Intelligence among others.
- Firstly, BRICS is the acronym coined for an association of five major emerging national economies. It stands for Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
- Secondly, BRICS does not exist in the form of organization, but it is an annual summit between the supreme leaders of five nations.
- Thirdly, Chairmanship: The Chairmanship of the forum is rotated annually among the members, in accordance with the acronym B-R-I-C-S.
- Fourthly, Recent Summits: The 2020 BRICS summit was the twelfth annual BRICS summit.It was hosted by Russia. The theme was “Global Stability, Shared Security and Innovative Growth”.
- Fifthly, BRICS 2021: The chair of BRICS 2021 is in India. It will be the third time that India will be hosting the BRICS Summit after 2012 and 2016.
- The theme of the Summit is, ‘BRICS @ 15: Intra-BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation, and Consensus.’
Source: The Hindu