Source: The Hindu
News: The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved changes to the post-matric scholarship scheme for students from the Scheduled Castes.
- Changes are aimed to benefit more than 4 Crore SC students in the next 5 years so that they can successfully complete their higher education.
- Post Matric Scholarship scheme For Scheduled Caste Students: The Scheme aims to provide financial assistance to the Scheduled Caste students studying at post matriculation or post-secondary stage to enable them to complete their education.
- Eligibility: These scholarships are available for studies in India only and are awarded by the government of the State/Union Territory to which the applicant actually belongs i.e. permanently settled.
- Funding: It is a Centrally Sponsored scheme with a funding pattern of 60-40 for the Centre and States.
- This replaces the existing ”committed liability” system and brings greater involvement of the Central government in this scheme.
- Income Ceiling: Scholarships will be paid to the students whose parents/guardians’ income from all sources does not exceed Rs. 2,50,000/- (Rupees two lakh fifty thousand only).
Read Also :-GS Paper 1 Previous year Questions
- Transparency: The scheme will be run on an online platform with cyber security measures that would assure transparency, accountability, efficiency, and timely delivery of the assistance without any delays.
- Community Audit: The community audits of the scheme would be conducted to make sure the benefits were reaching the students.