What is the News?
The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of the National Ayush Mission as a ‘Centrally-sponsored scheme for another five years till 2026.
About National Ayush Mission:
- National AYUSH Mission is a ‘Centrally-sponsored scheme’ launched by the Government of India in 2014. The mission is being implemented by the Ministry of AYUSH.
Objectives of the Mission:
- To provide cost-effective AYUSH Services with universal access through upgrading AYUSH Hospitals and by co-location of AYUSH facilities at Primary Health Centres (PHCs) and District Hospitals(DHs).
- To establish a holistic wellness model based on AYUSH principles and practices, for empowering masses for ‘self-care.
- Furthermore, to strengthen institutional capacity at the state level through upgrading AYUSH educational institutions.
- Support cultivation of medicinal plants by adopting Good Agricultural Practices(GAPs) to provide a sustained supply of quality raw materials.
- Support setting up of clusters through the convergence of cultivation, warehousing, value addition, and marketing and development of infrastructure for entrepreneurs.
Expected Outcomes of the Mission:
- Better access to AYUSH healthcare services through increased healthcare facilities.
- Improvement in AYUSH education through a well-equipped, enhanced number of AYUSH Educational institutions,
- To focus on reducing communicable/non-communicable diseases through targeted public health programs using AYUSH systems of Healthcare.