List of Contents
Source: The post is based on the article “Cabinet approves continuation of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U) – “Housing for All” Mission up to 31st December 2024” published in PIB on 10th August 2022.
What is the News?
The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) for the continuation of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U) up to 31stDecember 2024.
What is Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban(PMAY-U)?
Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA)
Aim: To provide all-weather pucca houses to all eligible beneficiaries in the urban areas of the country through States/UTs/Central Nodal Agencies.
Coverage: The scheme covers the entire urban area of the country, i.e., all statutory towns as per Census 2011 and towns notified subsequently, including Notified Planning/ Development Areas.
Verticals: The scheme is being implemented through four verticals:
– Beneficiary Linked Construction (BLC): Subsidy for beneficiary-led individual house construction /enhancement.
– Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS): Promotion of affordable housing for weaker sections through credit subsidy.
– Affordable Housing in Partnership (AHP): Creation of houses by both public and private sectors.
– In-Situ Slum Redevelopment (ISSR): Rehabilitation of slum dwellers with the participation of private developers using land as a resource.
Features of the Scheme
– Type: It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS), except for Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS), which is a Central Sector Scheme.
– The Mission promotes women’s empowerment by providing the ownership of houses in the name of a female member or in a joint name.