List of Contents
What is the News?
The Central government has approved the continuation of the Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) for the Development of Infrastructure Facilities for Judiciary for a further five years till 2026.
Scheme for Development of Infrastructure Facilities for Judiciary:
- The Centrally Sponsored Scheme(CSS) for Development of Infrastructure Facilities for Judiciary has been in operation since 1993-94.
- Aim: The scheme aims at improving the physical infrastructure of the Subordinate Courts. It also improves the housing needs for judicial officers of District and Subordinate Courts to facilitate better justice delivery.
- Coverage of the Scheme: The Scheme covers all States and Union Territories. It covers the construction of court buildings and the construction of residential accommodation for Judges and Judicial Officers of District and Subordinate Courts in the States.
Monitoring Mechanism for the Scheme:
- An online monitoring system has been set up by the Department of Justice.
- The online monitoring system “Nyaya-Vikas-2.0” has been developed with the technical assistance of ISRO.
- The portal shall monitor the physical and financial progress of such judicial infrastructure projects by geo-tagging completed and ongoing infrastructure projects.
Support to Gram Nyayalayas:
- The Cabinet has also approved a proposal to support Gram Nyayalayas by providing recurring and non-recurring grants for a period of 5 years.
- However, funds will be released to states only after the notified Gram Nyayalayas are operationalized and Nyayadhikaris appointed and reported on the Gram Nyayalaya portal.
- Moreover, a review will also be undertaken after one year to assess whether Gram Nyayalaya Scheme has achieved its objective of providing speedy and affordable justice to the rural and marginalised populace.